Tandem skydiving in Swakopmund, Namibia is an exhilarating adventure activity that allows you to experience the thrill of freefalling from an airplane while securely attached to a professional skydiving instructor. Here’s some information about tandem skydiving in Swakopmund:
1. Location: Swakopmund is a coastal town in Namibia, known for its stunning landscapes and adventure sports. Tandem skydiving takes place at the Swakopmund Skydiving Club, located near the town.
2. Tandem Skydiving: Tandem skydiving is the most common and accessible form of skydiving for beginners. In a tandem jump, you’re harnessed to a qualified instructor who guides you throughout the entire experience, from the aircraft exit to landing.
3. Training and Safety: Prior to the jump, you’ll receive a briefing from your instructor, which includes safety procedures, body position during freefall, and landing instructions. Tandem skydiving requires minimal training, as the instructor handles most aspects of the jump.
4. Aircraft and Altitude: Tandem skydives in Swakopmund are typically conducted from a light aircraft. The plane ascends to an altitude of around 10,000 to 12,000 feet (3,000 to 3,700 meters) above the ground, providing breathtaking views of the Namib Desert and the Atlantic Ocean.
5. Freefall and Parachute Descent: Once you exit the aircraft, you’ll experience the incredible sensation of freefalling at speeds of around 120 miles per hour (193 kilometers per hour). The freefall lasts for about 30 to 60 seconds, depending on the altitude. At a designated altitude, your instructor will deploy the parachute, and you’ll enjoy a scenic descent under the canopy for several minutes, taking in the incredible views.
6. Views and Scenery: Tandem skydiving in Swakopmund offers spectacular views of the Namib Desert’s unique dune formations, the contrasting coastline, and the vastness of the surrounding landscapes. It’s a thrilling way to appreciate the natural beauty of Namibia from a completely different perspective.
7. Video and Photo Packages: Many skydiving operators in Swakopmund offer video and photo packages, allowing you to capture the entire experience. These packages often include professional footage of the jump, from the pre-jump excitement to the adrenaline-pumping freefall and the canopy descent.
8. Requirements and Restrictions: Tandem skydiving generally has age and weight restrictions to ensure safety. The age limit is usually around 18 years or older, and there may be weight restrictions, typically ranging from 220 to 240 pounds (100 to 110 kilograms) or lower. It’s advisable to check with the specific skydiving operator for their requirements and restrictions.
Tandem skydiving in Swakopmund offers an unforgettable and adrenaline-filled experience. It’s an opportunity to conquer your fears and to feel a rush of adrenaline as you soar through the Namibian skies.