The Petrified Forest is located 42 kilometres west of the Namibian town of Khorixas and was declared a National Monument on 1 March 1950.
The area is made up of a deposit of large tree trunks that have “turned to stone” through a process of diagenesis. There are at least two large tree trunks, each 45 metres (148 ft) long, exposed to view. Several hundred others are located in the vicinity. In addition, there are a large number of Welwitschia plants on site.